Thursday, March 13, 2008

31 weeks

Well Saturday, me and Jean spent most of the day on this:

Mat came up the the church building at about 3 (We had been there since 8am) and helped us finish up the lettering. What a guy! This thing is about 8' tall!
Our church is having a HUGE Easter egg hunt for the kiddos. They are also using Easter as a time to invite new people.. So far over 1,000 people have been invited! Of course not all of those people said yes they will come, but people have gotten out of their comfort zones and started inviting.

Yesterday me and Kenron got a HUGE box of stuff from (my) Trish and her boys. She sent a double breast pump, a bottle drying rack, a bottle warmer for the diaper bag, some cute cold weather shirts for Kenron, and some clothes for me! And this was the sweetest gift of all...

Its my dad's :) I think that his Aunt Marion made it for him, and Grammie had sent it to Trish, and Trish was so sweet to pass it along to me. Isn't that one of the cutest things you have ever seen? hehe unfortunately my mind cant help but picture my dad (today) wearing that little cap.. hehehe

One other thing that has been on my heart today is this silly Sally Kern thing. She's a representative of Oklahoma City, and she said some VERY strong things about the homosexual community. And I just dont agree with her.
Well I watched an interview with her this afternoon. She said she was asked to talk about the homosexual agenda in politics.. meaning that they are trying to eliminate the Conservatives. She said it was no different than a Republican talking about how Democrats would like to eliminate Republicans. Ok I sort of get that.
BUT
She also said that homosexuals are a greater threat to this country than Terrorism. She just said in that interview that what she meant was, that she was trying to make a point that terrorists destroyed our lives, and that the homosexual agenda is trying to eliminate our family values and if our family values disappear it will be just as strong a hit on our country.
Now, I've shared with some of you my struggle through these past couple years with how we as Christians should be when it comes to the homosexual community. I have several friends from my youth that are Gay. I still havent come to any solid conclusions.
BUT! God is showing me more and more that hateful speech is not the way. I realize Sally Kern did not intend for this to happen. But doesnt this reinforce that the world is ALWAYS watching us as Christians? Frankly I'm embarrassed. I know in my past I have not handled talking about the Gay lifestyle well. In fact I've probably ruined any hope of being a friend ever again to my best friend in high school, Adam.

God is love. I dont think this is showing the world God's grace... Do you? I agree with Sally that God didnt intend for families to be made up of a Gay couple.. but did God intend for families to include, alcoholics? drug addicts? abusive parents? divorced parents? My point is that we (even under the "christian" name) are doing quite a job on our own of ruining the "family" God intended. I dont think there is a need to point fingers, but to embrace in love.

There are a million things I could type, but I did like what this author had to say: http://www.hollywoodgrind.com/sally-kern-has-the-right-to-free-speech/
The fact is she does have the right to her free speech, and I am glad that she does, despite what she might have said. But maybe we can learn a bit from her that especially in this day and age, people are listening to what you say. We as Christians need to remember that. We need to have words of love and grace, not those of condemnation.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

4 comments:

ann said...

I agree with your statements on Kern. God bless, I almost had to walk out of class last night to keep myself from shooting off my mouth, but I was glad someone said what I was thinking. Good thoughts. And nice work on the sign! It's gonna be a wild day. Only a week and a half away!

Ya-ya + Paw-paw said...

Funny isn't that people want to Legislate morality, yet Jesus came to do away with the law... People's hearts will not change because a law condems it.... people's hearts change because they see the Light.

I will have to look at Bucca and Grammie's house to see if I can find a picture of me in that suit...LOL

T. L. Cole said...

I agree, too. I have been rolling this kind of thing around in my head for a while. I think the problem stems from seeing homosexuals as committing a bigger sin than acholism, adultry, lieing, and any other sin. We love and are respectful to people we see as comitting "little sins," we need to treat homosexuals the same, too. No I don't agree with what they do, but like your dad said, "people's hearts change becasue they see the Light." Not because we shun them. Great post!

Ford Family said...

I agree with you Natalie! It is sad how people view gay people as so wrong but can live in a household themselves that is full of abuse, etc...I pray for their hearts to be filled with love. I believe God is the only one with the right "to judge" not us, that is how I've gotten through a lot of things...otherwise I think we would go through life with a lot of anger and not enough love or leading by example. I miss Adam:(, tried to find him a couple years ago, but couldnt!